- ‘No offense BUT…’: Prefacing an insult with a disclaimer does not negate the offense.
- ‘Everything happens for a reason’: No shit, Sherlock. We all know that every action results in an equal and opposite reaction, we all know that death occurs because we aren’t immortal but I’m most confused by how this became the default expression of condolences. Who decided this was a comforting thing to say in the wake of a tragedy or grief? An asshole, that’s who.
- ‘He worked like a dog’: I have four dogs. They spend the day eating, sleeping and licking their assholes. I’m not impressed.
- ‘I’m sorry BUT…”: This goes along with ‘no offense but…”. When you add the word “BUT”, the apology is completely negated. It’s a patronizing and passive aggressive attempt to disguise an effort to assign blame to the other person. If you’re sorry, apologize, if you’re not, don’t.
- ‘Easy as pie’: A pie is pretty fucking hard to make. I’m just sayin’.
What are some overused expressions that drive you nuts?